p: (416) 360-2852
Steven is a partner at Genest Murray LLP and has been practicing at the firm since his call to the Bar in 2008. He has a varied practice, including the defence of occupiers’ liability, motor vehicle accident, product liability, solicitor negligence and construction law claims. Steven also represents the Provincial Crown in road authority and casualty claims and devotes a large part of his practice to defending school boards in claims involving personal injury, bullying, defamation and historical sexual abuse.
Steven has a passion for community involvement and access to justice, which began in law school where he worked as a legal clinic caseworker for three years. He has volunteered with Pro Bono Ontario for his entire legal career providing summary legal advice to unrepresented litigants. He also acts as pro bono duty counsel for motions in the Small Claims Court and provides free legal advice to the LGBTQ2S community at the 519 Community Centre.
Steven has appeared before various courts and administrative tribunals including the Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Federal Court of Appeal. Steven is a member of the Canadian Defence Lawyers (“CDL”) Continuing Legal Education Committee. He is also a co-chair of the annual joint seminar between CDL, the Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association and the Canadian Independent Adjusters Association.
- Admitted to the Law Society of Upper Canada, 2008
- University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law (LL.B.), 2007
- University of Toronto (B.A. Hons.), 2004
- Co-authored “Recent Developments in Solicitor-Client and Litigation Privilege: an Analysis of Blank v. Canada (Minister of Justice) and Celanese Canada Inc. v. Murray Demolition Corp.", Litigation Privilege: What's New?, Osgoode Professional Development Evidence Program, September 19, 2007.
- Co-authored “Fostering Pro Bono Service in the Legal Profession: Challenges Facing the Pro Bono Ethic", Ninth Colloquium on the Legal Profession, Chief Justice of Ontario's Advisory Committee on Professionalism, October 19, 2007.
- Co-authored “Documentary Discovery and E-discovery in Crown Litigation”, Crown Litigation Course, April 9 and 10, 2008.
- Advocates' Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- DRI (Defence Research Institute)
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers' Association